Monday, January 9, 2012

Isn't she lovely!



Ok, I am about to write a little ode to one of my favourite Irish ceramicists, Karen Morgan. I featured her beautiful Folding vase as my My Buy in the current issue of House and Home. She wrote me the loveliest thank you email, and, this reminded me that I am also coveting her wonderful pestle and mortar (left), which won her the House and Home Student Designer of the Year award a couple of years ago. It would have come in extremely handy had I not taken the lazy route to making pesto the other night, which was to whizz it up in a blender. It has a far lovelier texture if you do it by hand, if a tad labour intensive. Anyhow, I have no idea why people buy pesto, it's the easiest thing to make - just blitz together some basil, garlic, toasted pine nuts, parmesan, olive oil and lemon juice. Or do it by hand with one of Karen's beautiful P&Ms! (In the middle, by the way, is a colander, and on the right is a garlic crusher) I accidentally made an industrial quantity, and it's going on everything I eat for lunch and dinner but I'm not complaining. It's not just good on pasta, it's great with quinoa and cherry tomatoes for a tasty salad, on creamy risotto for some squidgy comfort food, or mixed with some olives, cherry tomatoes and peppers spread on salmon fillets and baked in the oven for easy entertaining. Yum yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment