Saturday, November 6, 2010

Curtains for me!



I did an extremely enjoyable curtain making course in Roisin Cross Silks out in Dun Laoghaire this weekend. So so so much fun - I was very excited about it but a little skeptical as to whether I really would be able to learn how to make curtains in a mere two days. Well the wonderful Maedhbh Walsh was such a great teacher that I now feel quietly confident about slowly but surely making curtains for my own house. We learned how to line and interline them, so that they'll make rooms nice and cosy. My first curtain making project will be my bedroom curtains, and as well as the beautiful silks out in RCS I've been taking a look at other fabrics that might work. Since they're still going to be costly, even though I'm making them myself, I'm going to be quite careful about opting for something that will wear well over time, but will be interesting and not all bland and boring. I love the idea of a metallic pattern on a earthy coloured fabric - like the silver-embossed material in the top pic, and that Indian-style brown and copper (though I'm not sure how well that would age from a style point of view) on the middle cushion in the second, both from Osborne and Little.

No comments:

Post a Comment